CLARIFICATION: how they tell about THE PREGNANCY, when they tell about THE PREGNANCY, not the "IT" that led up to it. That I don't want or need to know about.
I'm amazed and shocked at how it seems like so many of my friends will let the cat out of the bag once they are in their 2nd trimester already. Like "Surprise! I'm 15 weeks pregnant! We find out the gender next month!" Whaaaaat? How on earth are you able to keep it in that long? (That's what she said).
But seriously- how can you keep that a secret for such a long time? I've read that when you're a working woman you should wait until your 2nd trimester to tell your boss you're pregnant, because the most complications do happening during the first 1/3 of pregnancy. This is true, and makes sense. But there are some pretty tell-tale signs that I am simply unable to hide.
1) I'm already showing. Cynthia told me I started to look pregnant on Saturday. I was glad, because I just thought I looked chubby. Of course, Krytondra and Wendi both told me my face was thinner and it actually looked like I had LOST weight on Sunday. I guess my diet of fruit snacks is working for me. Reminds me of "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion"
2) I make far too many bathroom breaks. And all at inopportune moments. Climaxes of movies, middle of sermons, while swimming...you name it. Not that I relieve myself in the pool. I saw "Grown Ups"- I know the consequences.
3) My variety of food is a little suspect. The first time I was pregnant, I kept sleeves of Saltine crackers and an entire loaf of bread on my desk and would eat some of both each class period. No wonder I gained 50 pounds. No wonder I felt nauseous but hardly ever threw up. My cravings weren't too weird last time either- just wanted ketchup and ranch dressing, which meant lots of french fries and salads. This pregnancy those things don't always sound so great to me. Instead, as I've mentioned before, it's fruit snacks. Gushers, fruit roll ups, fruit by the foot, etc. And varying cereals- Rice Krispies, Apple Jacks, Corn Pops...Yeah, yeah, I know- "What to Expect When You're Expecting" says to eat only the best. I say eat what won't make you want to get violently ill. Which is why I don't write parenting books- not many people would listen. Perhaps I'm a little controversial.
4) I'm asleep more than I'm awake. Okay, that's an exaggeration. But I've outgrown the small piece of insomnia I had at the beginning of this pregnancy and got back to where I am sleeping 10 hours at night and taking a 3 hour nap everyday. Wait- that's 13 of 24 hours. I guess I am only awake 11 hours. I do sleep more than I'm awake. Wow. I can't hide being exhausted. I wake up 10 minutes before church starts and keep yawning all the way through. I can't sit through an entire movie (which is a big deal, for me). I was awaken from a nap too early the other day and after driving 20 minutes to a birthday party I sat like a zombie for the first 20 or 30 minutes there too.
5) I'm excited. It is different with a 2nd child. There's not the same connection, I'm not as obsessed over being pregnant, but its also exciting because there's a new connection- wondering how Brooklyn will relate to the new baby. It's getting better though. I thought I felt a flutter today, but it was probably just gas.
and 6) I'm angry. Brandon seems to think this is the most obvious 1st trimester symptom. I didn't remember getting upset much when I was pregnant with Brooklyn, but I definitely see it now. I snap, I lash out, and then I immediately realize what a jerk I'm being. Brandon thinks this is really funny- where I nag and pick on him, say something rude and then snap out of it and apologize very quickly. I'm a lot more picky now than I used to be, I find flaws in everything, I'm pessimistic and negative. Of course I'm also stressed out because I'm PREGNANT and trying to buy a house and am fruitlessly packing boxes without any idea of when we're going to get out of this place. And on top of that I don't know if this is a boy or girl and I don't know how people can wait and be surprised... I have ZERO patience for that. I think I want another girl, but I don't have a girl's name picked out because there were too many girls in middle school, high school and college I didn't like, so lots of names are unusable. It gets so frustrating looking at names I like one day and hate the next. Sometimes these angry times just end in tears. Again, Brandon laughs at me. He's sweet and holds me too, but he laughs at me because it really is so ridiculous.
Some people can hide their pregnancy until they're sure that their baby will more than likely survive the somewhat challenging 1st trimester, some don't get sick, some don't gain weight early, some don't have weird cravings, some are nice... anyway, it's clear I'm pregnant. Only 12 weeks. Still 1st trimester. Wishing, hoping, thinking and praying for the 2nd, followed by the 3rd, followed by another child and then to get fixed.